Pasta is a carbohydrate's best friend. Sure I love the stuff, just like I love hot buttered bread. But the problem is so does my waistline, my butt and my thighs. They want to hold on to that pasta in the form of fat, cellulite and lots of jiggle. So, I have been trying to slowly but surely weed out all of those high in carbohydrate's dishes that I love but replace them with low carbohydrate, HEALTHIER versions. So, I present the spaghetti squash! Do you realize that 1 cup of pasta has 40 grams of carbohydrate's? Now compare that to the spaghetti squash, 1 cup has 8 grams of carbohydrates and only 42 calories. What?! What?! After hearing those statistics how can you say "no", right? Well, you might give the argument that is doesn't taste as good. I beg to differ. You might complain that is it a pain to make? Pffffft. This is where I come in. I am going to show you JUST how easy it is to make a spaghetti squash pasta replacement.
1 Spaghetti Squash
1. Many websites will tell you to cut the squash in half and place it in the oven. Well, if you have ever tried this method then you will know you either have to be Mr./Mrs. Universe powerful to get through a raw spaghetti squash or have a chainsaw on hand. What do I do instead? I preheat the oven at 375 degrees and place the entire spaghetti squash in there.
2. I then cook the spaghetti squash for ~ an hour. This really depends on the size of the squash. For bigger squashes I will cook for up to an hour and a half. You do not want to exceed this, your spaghetti squash will explode. I speak from experience and it was NOT easy cleaning the oven out!
3. After you are done cooking the squash, take it out of the oven and let it cool. The squash will be very mushy to handle. This is what you want!
4. Once the squash is cool enough to handle, cut it lengthwise. It should be VERY easy to cut through. Scrape out the seedy part and discard.
5. Now scrape out all the "innards" of squash with a fork. Save this yummy part to eat!
6. It is ready to serve, easy peasy!
Add your favorite sauce and you have a great low carb, low calorie, DELICIOUS meal! Enjoy.