I am always looking for healthy dinner ideas. I like to peruse healthy eating forums and see what folks are cooking. Well, the other day I saw a post on a Healthy Buffalo Chicken Lasagna recipe (adapted from a post at My Fitness Pal by ThinningDownC). At first I was skeptical because it contained chickpeas in the recipe! So, I did what any good cook would do. I whipped it up and served it to my family. After my 7 year old son ate two servings and my husband ate THREE servings of the lasagna, I decided to try a piece myself. Oh. My. Goodness! It was like a piece of heaven with every bite. I am not even that big of a Buffalo Chicken fan but this was just amazing! It was too good to not share it with you all today!
Healthified Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Recipe
15 oz can Chickpeas (drained)
2 cups LowFat Cottage Cheese
9 Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles
16 oz chicken breast (cooked and shredded)
1 cup Buffalo Wing Sauce
2 cups Spaghetti Sauce (low calorie one)
1 cup 2% shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cook noodles according to directions on the box.
2. Blend cottage cheese, egg and chickpeas together until it is a smooth consistency.
3. I used my Ninja (blender) to shred the chicken, it turned out AWESOME this way! Only a few pulses is recommended, you do not want a chicken paste. I then added the chicken, spaghetti sauce and wing sauce together and mixed well.
4. First, I put a small coating of the chicken mixture on the bottom of the lasagna dish, this is to prevent the noodles from sticking. I than began my layers: 3 noodles, 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture, 1/2 of the chicken mixture, 3 noodles, the remaining cheese mixture, the remaining chicken mixture, 1/2 cup of shredded cheese, 3 noodles and the remaining shredded cheese.
5. Cover dish with foil and cook for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove foil and cook 15 minutes at 400 degrees (this is to melt cheese well).
6. Remove from oven and let it cool. If you try to serve it too hot, the lasagna will be SUPER runny.
Happy Guilt Free Eating!!