Do you love Shepherds Pie as much as I do? It really is one of my favorite cooler weather comfort foods but what I do not like is the calories. Some of the classic Shepherds Pie recipes is filled with butter, milk and sometimes it is even stuffed into a pie shell. Not mine! I have taken the original recipe and "skinnied" it up but left the delicious flavor!
The best part of this recipe? My family LOVES it! Oh yes, they loves it so much that they do not even pick out the vegetables that are in it! The second best part of this recipe? It is super easy to make! So, without further ado, here is:
Skinny Shepherds Pie Recipe
1 lb ground turkey meat
3 large red potatoes (peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks)
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
1/2 cup 2% shredded cheese
1 1/2 cup chicken broth (low sodium)
1/4 tsp seasoning salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tbs corn starch
1 tsp cajun seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil potatoes until you can easily stick a fork in them. Drain off water and mash with a fork. Stir in sour cream, seasoning salt, pepper and shredded cheese. Set aside.
3. Brown ground turkey. Add in mixed vegetables, cajun seasoning (add more if prefer a little spicier) and chicken broth. Cook until vegetables soften and thicken up using corn starch.
4. Pour turkey meat mixture into the bottom of an 8x8 glass dish. Carefully spread potato mixture on top of meat, covering the entire meat mixture.
5. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until potatoes are browned.
Happy Guilt-Free Eating!!