I am one of those people that visit a book store and spend hours in the “Cook Book” section. I am always looking for new and delicious recipes to try out! Most importantly, I love to take those traditional recipes and put a “healthy” spin on them. There really are many tricks and food substitutes one can replace in a recipe to turn a “fattier” dish into a “skinny” one!
The other day I was searching for some new family meal ideas when I came across Tyson’s website. Their website has a whole slew of recipes using their Grilled & Ready Chicken, so not only can you get some great recipe ideas with Tyson but they also make meals easier to prepare with their cooked and seasoned meats. This certainly is such a huge relief for this working mom, any time–saving tricks are very welcomed in my household!
After reading more about Tyson’s refrigerated chicken, I was inspired to whip up a recipe of my own using their Grilled & Ready chicken. I had been wanting to adapt my own version of a Skinny Chicken Pot Pie that I saw on Meal Makeover Moms and I think this was the perfect time to do so!
I headed to my local Walmart with my “best helpers” in tow to pick up all the ingredients for the Skinny Mini Chicken Pot Pies. You can view my entire shopping trip on Google+. The Tyson’s Grilled & Ready meats were found in the refrigerator section at Walmart, I actually found them in one of those stand alone refrigerator displays. I was pleasantly surprised to find a huge variety of Grilled & Ready meats, they even had diced chicken! What a time saver! You just made this busy mom very happy, Tyson! I then headed home and got to cookin’!
Skinny Mini Chicken Pot Pies
1 TBS Olive Oil
1 carrot, peeled &chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz bag Tyson’s Grilled & Ready Chicken diced pieces
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
4 tsp cornstarch
3/4 cup frozen peas
3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
12 egg roll wrappers
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Sautee the onion, carrots and garlic in the olive oil for about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the chicken, tarragon and black pepper and cook for another 5 minutes stirring frequently.
3. In a bowl, whisk broth and cornstarch together until well blended. Add this mixture to chicken along with the peas and corn. Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
4. Place each egg roll wrappers into a non-stick muffin pan letting the wrapper extend over the sides.
5. Fill each wrapper with the chicken mixture and fold in corners of the wrapper to cover the filling. Lightly brush the tops with olive oil.
6. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until tops brown.
The Skinny Chicken Pot Pies were a hit! The kids got a kick out of being able to pick them up and eat them. I loved the fact that they were so easy to prepare using Tyson’s Grilled & Ready Chicken and they were much healthier than the traditional version of a pot pie. And we ALL enjoyed the delicious flavor!! I look forward to trying more recipes using Tyson’s Grilled & Ready meats. You can check out more of the Grill & Ready on Tyson’s Facebook page or Follow Tyson on Twitter.
I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias® and Tyson. #cbias #SocialFabric #MealsTogether