Whoever said Summer was the best time for fresh-produce salads must have never tried a delicious Winter salad. Winter produce just means new salad ingredients; hearty salads filled with beets, citrus, pecans and figs is what I am talking about! Topped with homemade dressings like a lemon yogurt or a warm cider vinaigrette has my mouth watering. If you are looking to for a delicious winter salad to accompany your meal, I have a great collection for you! Check out my Foodie Collection of 20 Delicious Winter Salad Recipes above!
Of course, I wanted to make a special dish to go along with my Winter Salad Collection. This week at the Farmers Market, I picked up some fresh figs and immediately started thinking of recipes to make with them. My first thought was to create a dessert with the figs but I decided on something a little more creative. I recently read an article of all the health benefits of figs and thought they would be a perfect addition to a salad. I sure was right, this Chicken & Fig Winter Salad was delicious! I hope you enjoy it!
Chicken & Fig Winter Salad
1 cup Instant Barley
2 (8oz) chicken breasts
6 cups water
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS chili powder
2 garlic cloves
1 TBS black peppercorns
1/4 cup balasmic vinegar
2 TBS olive oil
1 lb figs (quartered)
Feta cheese (topping)
1. Boil water, onion, lemon juice, chili powder, garlic, peppercorns and chicken breast. Cook about 8-10 minutes, until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
2. Remove chicken breast and allow to cool. Once cooled, shred chicken into bite sized pieces.
3. Continue to boil down the water until you are left with ~ 3 cups. Strain off the vegetables and measure 2 cups of the liquid to prepare the barley.
4. Cook barley according to the direction on the box using the strained water.
5. Toss barley, chicken, vinegar and oil together. Gently stir in figs and top with feta cheese.
Enjoy this delicious winter salad!