Disney’s Cruella is coming to theaters as well as streaming on Disney+ this Friday, May 28th! From the acting, the costumes to even the origin story itself, Cruella is another hit from the Disney franchise. Last week I had the opportunity to attend the press junket for the film, where the creators as well as some of the cast of the film attended and gave us some fun facts and behind the scene goodies on making the film. Check it out!
- Craig Gillespie (Director)
- Jenny Beavan (Costume Designer)
- Nadia Stacey (Hair & Makeup)
- Fiona Crombie (Production Designer)\
- Emma Stone (Estella/Cruella)
- Emma Thompson (Baroness von Hellman)
Fun Facts From Disney Cruella Press Conference
Both Emma Stone and Emma Thompson were brilliant as both villains in Cruella, in fact Emma Thompson was elated to finally play a villain in a film. She shared with us, “I’ve been asking for quite a number of years if I could be a villain, a proper villain, I spent decades playing what my mother used to call, ‘Good women in frocks.’ And now I got to play a really evil woman in frocks. But oh boy, the frocks.” Stone agreed, playing the villain role was a blast and gave her permission to really go over-the-top with it, especially with her facial features, “If you’re someone like me that kind of has a face that’s made of full rubber and is always trying to contain a little bit, teaspoons instead of buckets, when you get to throw buckets, it’s a joy.”
More Fun Facts From Disney Cruella Press Conference
- Costume Designer Jenny Beavan was inspired by old fashioned when it came to the Baroness and stayed with that tone with Cruella, upping her style.
- Hair & Makeup Artist Nadia Stacey had a tough time finding the black and white wigs used on Emma Stone, and at one time only had two wigs to work with.
- Nadia also used Estella’s hair and makeup as a tool of deception because she has to disguise herself from the Baroness.
- Fiona Crombie, the Production Designer, used over 120 sets during the entire shoot.
- The White Ball was difficult to shoot due to keeping the cake from collapsing.
- Director Craig Gillespie on Horace – “When Paul Walter Hauser does his humor, you can feel the human being underneath it all, and all of the pain he is reflecting and hiding.“
- Director Craig Gillespie on Jasper – “Joel Fry has a big heart, and is truly the heart of the film.“
- Craig Gillespie designed the shooting, knowing they were gonna have music.
Academy Award® winner Emma Stone (“La La Land”) stars in Disney’s “Cruella,” an all-new live-action feature film about the rebellious early days of one of cinemas most notorious – and notoriously fashionable – villains, the legendary Cruella de Vil. “Cruella,” which is set in 1970s London amidst the punk rock revolution, follows a young grifter named Estella, a clever and creative girl determined to make a name for herself with her designs.
She befriends a pair of young thieves who appreciate her appetite for mischief, and together they are able to build a life for themselves on the London streets. One day, Estella’s flair for fashion catches the eye of the Baroness von Hellman, a fashion legend who is devastatingly chic and terrifyingly haute, played by two-time Oscar® winner Emma Thompson (“Howards End,” “Sense & Sensibility”).
But their relationship sets in motion a course of events and revelations that will cause Estella to embrace her wicked side and become the raucous, fashionable and revenge-bent Cruella.
Cruella will release simultaneously in theaters and on Disney+ with premier access on Friday, May 28!