This month I was at a friends BBQ, it was a pot luck type of BBQ and one of the dishes there was a Chocolate Eclair Cake. I HAD to try it because you know me and how I am an expert dessert connoisseur. It was simply delicious and tasted SO much like a real chocolate eclair. However, there was a bit of a problem; it totally made me sick! Every since my surgery, I really have to watch the amount of sweets I eat and especially the “creamy” type sweets. Ice cream is a huge no-no, so I have to replace it with things like frozen yogurt. Well, the Chocolate Eclair Cake I had at the BBQ, although it was delicious it was way to creamy. But I enjoyed it SO much that I had to find a lighter (skinnier) way to make it. I did and I brought my “skinnier” version of the Chocolate Eclair Cake back to my friends home, which I attended the BBQ, to give it a true taste test. Guess what? They enjoyed my “Skinny” Chocolate Eclair Cake BETTER than the original! You know what that means, blog worthy recipe!!
Skinnier Chocolate Eclair Cake Recipe
3 oz sugar-free vanilla instant pudding mix
3 cups skim milk
2 TBS vanilla extract
1 container light Cool whip
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1 stick butter
1. Using an electric hand mixer, blend together the milk, pudding mix, vanilla extract and cool whip.
2. Layer the bottom of a 9×13 dish with graham crackers. Spread 1/2 the pudding mixture over the graham crackers.
3. Cover the pudding mixture with the graham crackers. Spread the other 1/2 of pudding mixture over the graham crackers.
4. Completely cover the pudding mixture with the last layer of graham crackers.
5. (Topping) In a sauce pan, melt sugar, cocoa, milk, vanilla and salt and bring to a boil. Shut off heat and add butter. Constantly stir until butter is melted.
6. Let the chocolate topping cool for a good 10-15 minutes. You do not want to top the cake while this is still runny.
7. Once the chocolate mixture has hardened a bit, drizzles over the top of the cake. Completely cover the graham crackers.
8. Refrigerate for about 6-7 hours or even overnight. You want the graham crackers to soften a bit before you start cutting into it.