Diary of a Wimpy Kid is now streaming on Disney Plus. The franchise which includes Jeff Kinney’s famous novel, as well as the live-action films, and now this animated film, has entertained kids and adults alike since the early 2000’s. Earlier this week, I was able to attend the press junket for the film and learn some interesting facts about the author and more. Check out these Jeff Kinney interesting facts from the Diary of a Wimpy Kid press junket.
Jeff Kinney Interesting Facts
Earlier this week, I attended the Diary of a Wimpy Kid press conference where, I learned some interesting facts about the creator of the popular novels, Jeff Kinney. Along with being the author of the popular book series, Jeff Kinney was also the screenwriter and producer of the new Disney+ animated series. Check out some interesting facts we learned about him during the junket.
- Jeff Kinney wanted to be a newspaper cartoonist, like Charles Schultz, Bill Watterson, or Gary Larson.
- He worked 8 years on the original Diary of a Wimpy Kid novels before showing them to anyone.
- Kinney says Greg is really a version of himself. And his family members are reflected in the Heffleys in some way.
- Kinney’s brother actually lived in the basement just like Rodrick, and he played in a bad band.
- Rowley is Kinney’s favorite character from the Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
- Kinney didn’t start keeping a diary of his own until his mid-20’s, which contained some text and cartoon illustrations.
- His real life journal actually inspired Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
- Kinney was scared to see the animated version of Diary of a Wimpy Kid at first.
- The cheese was a real thing in Jeff Kinney’s life. There was a piece of cheese the kids avoided, just like in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
- Kinney is now in the process of making Rodrick Rules.